Friday, June 24, 2011

I'm a bobble head!

The most expressive of Indian gestures is the Indian head waggle.  It's neither a yes or a no but a simply a disarming way of communicating that something is okay.  It is a gesture that I have unwittingly picked up and I use it when I'm talking to say...an Indian shop owner.  If I have a question and they give me a satisfactory answer...I waggle my head and say 'theek hai' (alright) to convey an understanding.  Here's a brief video of what it looks like:





It cracks me up!  I can't stand that I've picked up this gesture.  It could very possibly be the reason why I've had to go see the chiropractor recently.  Nursing diagnosis:  Severe neck pain related to Indian head waggle as evidenced by relief collar placed by chiropractor.  Or maybe I'm just a giraffe.





  



2 comments:

  1. Aww! I hope that thing comes off before the wedding. Take care of that neck, giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious, Jenn. I've noticed that folks in Melbourne say "yeah" more than what I'm used to in normal conversation. So, let's say I'm trying to give you directions...

    Athena: You'll need to take the
    Jenn: yeaaah.
    Athena: ... 109 down Victoria Street, you know the one that passes the mall?
    Jenn: Yeah. The mall with Ikea?
    Athena: Yeah, that one...
    Jenn: Yeah
    Athena: Yeah, so a few stops after that you'll pass a shitload of asian restaurants
    Jenn: oh yeaaah. Yeah, i've seen those.
    Athena: Yeah.
    and so on...

    It's really interesting and I've found that I'm starting to say it a lot, too!! I much prefer the head waggle because it's not so hard on the ears. Then again, it appears the 'Yeah' is not as hard on the neck. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete