Thursday, November 29, 2012

Snowboarding

I learned how to snowboard about 12 years ago.  It's been about 3 years since I've last been snowboarding down a real mountain though.  There was an attempt to ride down the fake snow in Dubai but the facility was under reconstruction when we went last year (was that only just LAST year?!) and riding down the fake snow in Tamworth, England doesn't count....that's like a 50 ft. hill.  The story goes that I left Colorado smack in the middle of winter of '09-'10 and had only gone about 3 times by then (a bit resentful that I didn't get my money's worth out of my season pass but oh so worth it).  Then the next winter we were in India and this last winter, well, I was a tad knocked up.  So I've been psyching myself out for this season.  I haven't subscribed to any sort of physical regimen.  I've done some squats and sit-ups here and there but we all know that didn't do anything.  So I was prepared for some jelly legs.  The Wednesday before Thanksgiving Glen took off of work so we could go play up in the mountains.  Hoo boy is it a different ballgame getting ready with a husband and a baby!  Long gone are the days where I'd just throw my gear in the car and put on some long underwear and GO!  There is way more planning that has to go into preparing your baby for the day, not to mention, preparing my boobs for the day.  Oy! 

After a few hours we finally arrived at Keystone.  Traffic wasn't bad.  We desperately tried to find a babysitter for the day but it turns out, other people have lives too.  So we were stuck with childcare at the resort.  The facility was beautiful and so kid friendly.  Lucky for us there is a price to pay for said beautiful facility.  Thankfully the staff were super nice to us and our precious kiddo.  I can't say that the 85 smackeroos were worth it but what I can say is that I had a stress free 4 hours on the mountains with my honey and Poppy was a happy camper when we picked her up.  See, it was the first time I've ever dropped her off at any sort of day care.  Poppy was absolutely fine, it was mama that had the separation anxiety and the tears!  Where did the tears come from?  Am I normal???  

I recently heard on NPR that snowboarding was originally called "snurfing".  Sounds funny but totally appropriate.  I'm glad they changed it though, it sounds less dorky now.  Anyways, we jumped on the gondola as I was way too nervous to get on a lift (the dreadful dismount always has me worried no matter how experienced I am!).  It was a gorgeously sunny day and there were a few lifts open.  Stupid me decided it's ok to head down a blue run first.  I made it with Glen's patience and with my calves burning from hanging out on my toe edge a little too long down some of the steep bits.  A few falls and a green run later in the day I was already to call it quits.  My body was exhausted and my ego a little bruised (not to mention my back side).  It felt good to rally but I was happy to get down and cuddle my little girl.  I hope we get another day or two in before our very special visitors from England arrive at Christmas for their very own snowboarding trip.  Gotta' make the season pass worth it this time! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete