Thursday, September 9, 2010

Unsettled

There are days when I wish I were back home.  Sometimes it would be nice to walk into my favorite restaurant where they know me by name.  I wouldn't need a menu because they'd know exactly what I want to order.  Sometimes it would be nice to go for a long walk around the lake with my dog.  Sometimes it would be nice to walk into work where there are familiar faces saying hello.  Sometimes it would be great to just pick up a phone and call a girlfriend to meet for lunch.  Sometimes it would be nice to go for a drive without GPS or without having to beckon our driver.  Sometimes it would be nice to know exactly where I was going on any given day be it the grocery store or furniture shopping.  But sometimes I think I'm just getting sick of living out of a suitcase.  It's been nearly 2 months of wearing the same clothes over and over again.  Maybe it's cabin fever.  Maybe I'm getting sick of the hotel food.  Maybe I'm just homesick.  Friends at home are having babies and I feel like I'm missing out.  It kills me inside not to be there.  It doesn't help that it takes forever to get anything done around here.  We decided over a week ago on a place we want to rent and still the papers are being bounced from the landlord to the company's desk to the relocation assistants desk and back again.  When they say it'll be ready to sign on Monday, they really mean Friday....of next week.  No joke.  And I can't get a phone or a bank account or basically anything until I have an address.  My autonomy is out the window and it's a frustrating feeling.  Glen has been wonderful though and I hate venting my frustrations to him because he feels completely responsible for uprooting me and bringing me here.  But as for now, he's all I have here.  He has enough to worry about with starting this new position and trying to make sure everything with finding a home and staff goes smoothly, let alone worry about how I'm doing.  I'm sure that things will get better once we have a home and have our furniture back.  Then we can fill it with all of our stuff.  I can start to hopefully look for work again or at least volunteer.  I need a focus and my brain is turning to mush since I quit work 8 months ago.  I'm looking into yoga as well.  What better place to get really good at yoga?  I'm hoping it will keep my mind and body strong.  And we found an ex-pat network here.  I have yet to meet another American though, mostly Australian and British folk so far.  But I've only been to one meeting.  As for today...I'm just going to reflect on why I wanted to come here in the first place.  I know it's going to be such an enriching experience I just have to get through the growing pains.  One day at a time...        

No comments:

Post a Comment