Friday, November 19, 2010

Conflicted

If you know me then you know how in love I am with my dog Kona.  She's a crazy Bernese Mountain Dog that I had to leave back in Colorado.  Glen and I want her here with us but her coat is suited to cool weather and India gets well over 100 degrees (F) for half of the year.  The selfish part of me desperately wants her back as I think about her and miss her more and more each day.  It sucks not having her around.  But it is in her best interest to stay where she's at.  So it bothers me to think that I would pick up another dog here in India when I have a perfectly cute one at home.  The thing is that India has hundreds of stray dogs (and stray kids...but don't get me started).  I am an animal lover.  I worked at an animal hospital for 8 years prior to becoming a nurse.  I love dogs.  I will always have one.  I'm lucky that Glen loves them too.  He even treats Kona like his own child...their relationship is quite adorable.  My issue is that when I see a stray...as I do every day...I want to feed it and wash it and cuddle it.  But it would be unrealistic to do that for every. single. dog. there is out there.  So I've been hesitant.  


There is one particular pooch who got my attention earlier in the week.  I was out shopping and there she was...this tiny little thing with the sweetest brown eyes.  She just walked right up to me...tail wagging and all.  I couldn't help but wonder where her litter mates were.  Couldn't help worrying about her health...where is she going to get her next meal, her next drink of water?  I honestly don't know how they survive on eating trash and scraps.  There are SO MANY stray dogs out there competing for food with the cows.  I wonder what their life span is.  It breaks my heart.  I've seen this sweet thing twice this week now.  I've taken photos and sent them to Glen.  He agrees...she's stinkin' cute.  But I have to be practical.  Right?  She could already have a million things wrong with her.  Worms.  Parasites.  Rabies even.  Even if I nursed her to health and fattened her up I would still have to think about her future.  We live on the 3rd floor.  It would be a pain to run her down 7 flights of stairs every time she had to potty.  We go on trips.  Who would watch her?  Would Kona get jealous when we're all reunited?  How could I pick up this one and not the other ones?  Ugh, I'm so conflicted.


Tell me that doesn't tug on your heartstrings
   

No comments:

Post a Comment