Thursday, November 18, 2010

Trip of a lifetime

We decided long ago that in order to stay sane in India, we would have to take enriching trips outside of India.  India is a beautiful/ugly country just like any other.  But it is very difficult to live here.  Since we are in Asia we booked a trip to Taiwan to meet my family.  This side of my family is unknown to me.  My Mom left Taiwan when she was in her early twenties.  She fled with my American father to escape her physically abusive father.  But true to being an Asian, she always sent money home...never to forget where she came from.  My Mom brought my sister and I to Taiwan when we were little...I was only 2 years old and have no recollection...but never again since.  She essentially shielded us from knowing that side of her.  In the U.S. she decided she wanted us to have a good education and be raised "American".  That meant we saw little of her Buddhist teachings and she didn't teach us her language.  Which, is all sad to me now because I feel like I missed out on so much.  It is so valuable to be bilingual these days.  And to be part of another culture that isn't so American....well, I missed out on 7 aunties and uncles and numerous cousins.  And I feel like there's this communication barrier between me and my own mother.  So it's been a dream of mine to get to know that side of my family regardless of the language barrier.  I knew I'd find a way.  With Glen's encouragement I contacted a calabash cousin that I grew up with in Oak Harbor, who now lives in Taiwan.  I hadn't spoken to him in 20 years so I hoped he remembered me.  Thank goodness he did.  And he was more than willing to act as translator between me and my family.  I have so much respect and admiration for Michael.  He is busy running a company and raising a family yet he found the time to meet with me and my family and have dinner.  It was such a selfless act of kindness and something I will remember for the rest of my life.  Without him the meeting wouldn't have been possible.

Anyways...meeting my Grandma (Ama) was a dream fulfiilled.  We walked up to her apartment and she just stood in her bedroom doorway giggling.  All dressed up to go out to dinner with us.  I couldn't help but cry when I hugged her.  She didn't have the same sentiment though and just kept giggling.  I asked Michael why on earth she was doing that and he said she said that I was so (freakishly) tall...she couldn't get over it.  I guess I wanted her to break down like I did.....it had been a lifetime since I saw her last.  But I guess from her perspective she has so many grandchildren that I was just another one.  I thought maybe I'd be unique because I was the only American one...that she might be just a little more curious about me.  But she was just happy to see me.  She said she remembered me at 2 years old crawling on the same furniture in her living room.  I wished I remembered.  My uncle took us to dinner.  There were about 10 of us.  I met 2 uncles and their wives, a cousin and his wife.  It was a bit overwhelming.  They were all so sweet.  My uncles kept raising toasts to us...we were pretty tipsy by the end of the evening.  Grandma kept burping...guess that's a good sign the food is good.  Long story short, I'm still processing it all.  Feeling a little more fulfilled than I did when I started the trip.


My 84 year old Ama

I met 2 uncles, their wives, a cousin and his wife as well



Our flight to Taiwan involved a stop in Hong Kong so we decided to stay a few nights.  And let me tell you Hong Kong is such an awesome city.  It would be so easy to live there.  I highly recommend going there if you haven't already.  We met Glen's friend Gareth and his gorgeous wife Shizuka.  It was awesome getting to know another little part of Glen.  After HK and Taiwan we wanted some R & R so we stayed in Boracay in the Phillipines.  it is a little known place but one of the worlds 10 most beautiful beaches.  The weather and water were phenomenal.  I love the local food.  Glen and I got some much needed time together that didn't include talking about the house or stress at work.  I am loving my life.  I have a wonderful, supportive man by my side and nothing is better than that.  I'm a lucky girl.


Hong Kong skyline


The photo doesn't do it justice

Shizuka, Gareth, & Glen after a night of food and beer

Clear blue waters of Boracay...paradise!


Loving life!




          

No comments:

Post a Comment