Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Routine

Well, I think we've hit that sweet spot where life is no longer frantic or shocking.  And it's a good place to be.  It's a feeling of being settled.  You know we were warned of the roller coaster of emotions you endure when you move to a foreign country.  First, you are excited that you are in some place new and everything seems interesting.  Then, you realize you are far away from home and not going back anytime soon.  You move in to your new place and it sucks because it is next to impossible to get anything hooked up (i.e. internet, mobile phone).  Nothing is on time and nothing is a fair price because you have white skin.  You begin to feel alone and disconnected.  And some days you may feel like you want to kill some one (when all your friends thought you were 'nice').  Then you finally get your house in order (a few months and one much-needed holiday later) and you are ready to charge out into the world again.  The things that used to bother you about your new place now start to feel common.  You learn to navigate your way around the city and even learn to negotiate fair prices.  You may even pick up a few new words in the native language.  You may even start to think that you might even miss a few oddities once you leave to go back home.  That's where I'm at now.  Take the cows for instance...roaming around the shopping area.  I haven't gotten used to seeing them roaming freely and so they are still a novelty to me.  I hope I never lose that kind of excitement about this place.  


Glen has settled into work.  I have found a new love in yoga.  I volunteer at an orphanage and an animal shelter.  On the weekends we have brunch with friends.  We've even been to an Indian wedding.  I think I'm actually starting to like it here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment