Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'm a liar!

I noticed that I wrote in my last post that I thought I was starting to like it here.  Well then why oh why was it so hard to face coming back here after a holiday in the UK?  Normally I look forward to going home from a trip but not this time.  I wanted to stay where there was hot water, pressurized water, water from the tap that I could drink and brush my teeth with.  I wanted to stay where I had the company of new friends and family.  I wanted to stay where I could safely go on a beautiful walk out my front door.  I wanted to stay at every pub.  I wanted to stay in front of that cozy fireplace watching the snow fall.  I wanted to stay where we could hop in the car at any time of the day at our leisure and go wherever we wanted to.  I wanted to stay where I could shop in a normal grocery store and get everything I need in one place and where my Chee-tos cravings don't cost me 8 bucks.  I wanted to stay where I could shop for clothes that fit my body, personality, and lifestyle.  I wanted to stay and eat all the steak sandwiches that had real beef in them.  I wanted to stay and breathe the fresh air, not these noxious fumes.  I wanted to stay where it was quiet, where people on the road drive in their lanes and obey basic traffic laws without honking incessantly.  I wanted to stay where the garbage man doesn't wake me up by yelling.  I wanted to stay where dogs were on leashes, not roaming the streets starving for food and attention.  I wanted to stay where there aren't grief-stricken children banging on my car window begging for food at traffic lights.  I wanted to stay where I blend in with the crowd instead of being stared at like I have a horn growing out of my head. 

I spoke to my new friend here in Delhi who lives right behind me and shares a similar sentiment as she just returned from her home in the Netherlands.  She warned me that you shouldn't return home for at least 9 months after moving abroad.  That you should explore the country you are living in if you crave travel.  And it makes perfect sense.  Even though England is not my home, it has a lot of what makes me happy.  Or perhaps it's England's charm...everything India doesn't have.  It probably was a bad idea to go back so soon.  We need to explore India more.  Like Kerala and the Himalayas.  Seriously, Delhi is NOT the place to be.  Great for a quick visit but I know India has so much more to offer.  And I'm determined to find it before our time here is up.  How much do you want to visit me now?  

If anything, living in India has already highlighted some important facts for me.  That I miss my friends and family, my home, my job, my dog, my favorite foods.  I don't regret leaving.  Because the alternative would be that Glen wouldn't be in my life as much as he is.  And that is absolutely unacceptable for me.  When you find love like this, you hold on with everything you have...even if it means temporarily letting go of all the things you once had.

p.s.  I changed to purple script because bright pink was hurting my eyeballs!  

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that this entry made me a bit weepy. Just reading about all of the things you are missing, made me thankful and focus on all of the things that I have and take for granted. I realize that may not be exactly what you were going for, but your words reached a weary accountant, all the way in Seattle at 8:50am on a dreary Friday work day. You also made me really wish I had a Glen. :) Can't wait to read more! Take care and thank you!!! Some day all of the discomforts will only be amazing memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh... we hear you!
    this is why we all have each other to re create nicer atmosphere and support each other when we get crazy :) - which tend to happen a lot !
    you're not staying for a long time, its the best: focus on traveling and exploring Asia, it will be up very soon!

    ReplyDelete