Monday, January 31, 2011

We went to Italy!

Unfortunately Glen had to work.  Fortunately I got to hop on trains every day and go somewhere new.  A busy 5 days...I went to visit Italy's "Big Three", the leaning tower of Pisa, Il Duomo in Florence, and the Colosseum in Rome and stood in awe of all of them, they did not disappoint.  I also went to St. Peter's Square and Basilica.  Then walked over to the Pantheon.  I met these 2 lovely ladies on the train one day that had just visited Vernazza.  I had never heard of it before so I went to investigate the next day.  It was a long train ride but so worth it.  It was a cute little coastal town, population 500.  I've never seen anything like it.  


I'm also developing my solo travel philosophy.  It can be intimidating.  It can be exhilarating.  It can be depressing at times, though very short-lived.  It's full of fortune and misfortune, pleasure and pain.  There's a sense of freedom to make your own agenda.  But it also made me a little bit morose not to be able to share the amazing experience with someone.  One thing I've learned is to never underestimate my ability to learn and adapt and to quit fretting about every new encounter.  It all works out in the end.  And boy, I'm glad I had the opportunity.      


The Leaning Tower of Pisa

Il Duomo in Florence

Ponte Vecchio (Florence)

Vernazza of the Cinque Terre

St. Peter's Basilica

Inside the Pantheon

The Colosseum

3 comments:

  1. Pure amazingness! Italy! Alone! I miss spending time with just myself. When I look back on my memories of travels spent alone, they are all very special. It seems like a unique time to be able to decide you want to go somewhere, and then get up and go! Sitting on a train, staring at new, beautiful landscapes, contemplating life...DAMN!

    (More pictures please!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the whole idea of travelling Italy all by yourself rocks rather than sitting whole day alone and aloof. when I consider myself on your behalf I only go out single when I have to redicover my own city.

    pictures are great

    ReplyDelete