Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blimey Blokey Bollocks!

I love having a British boyfriend.  Yes, I do love the accent and I can't help being charmed by the little cultural phrases and differences.  Let me share with you a few:  
  • blimey
  • bloke
  • bollocks 
  • mate
  • going to the 'loo' for a 'wee'
  • knackered
  • shattered
  • gutted
  • faff (hassle)
  • rubbish
  • fancy a cuppa tea?
  • bacon butty's (bacon sandwich)
  • pork pies
  • crisps instead of chips
  • chips instead of french fries
  • bugger (as in 'damn') 
  • bugger off  (as in skidaddle)
  • fag for cigarette(this one still makes me giggle, I know I'm immature)
  • mingin' (ugly or horrible)
  • holiday (instead of vacation)
  • aw'right love (my favorite greeting)
  • cheers (as a way of saying thanks)
  • watching the telly
  • pottering around town
  • queue-ing instead of waiting in line
  • Kendal Mint Cakes ~ thanks for the diabetes Lucy!
  • beans in my breakfast
  • tea meaning not tea but dinner
  • eating with a fork in my left hand and a knife in my right for every meal
  • going to the cinema to watch a film rather than a theater to watch a movie
  • semi-detached houses
  • lorries instead of trucks (18-wheelers)
  • car parks instead of parking lots
  • hire cars instead of renting a car
  • jumpers instead of sweaters
A specific Yorkshire-ism "Shut yer cake oil"...meaning shut your cake hole (mouth).  A personal favorite.


So if you hear me talking like this, you know why....I'm so easily influenced!  Too bad my best imitation is either an Austin Powers accent or Dick Van Dyke.  Oh...I miss the UK!!!    

2 comments:

  1. We have accent envy too. Other people talk so much cooler than us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are blimey-licious! I do believe that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete