Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Doing it

Well, we've passed the 6 month mark and I'm happy to report all is well.  I've been asked a lot how I like it here and for the last 6 months I've said it's been absolutely horrible.  As I've stated before...it's probably easier to visit here versus live here.  I was sick for months when we first arrived...which really shaped my crappy attitude towards this place.  And now Glen is sick.  Unfortunately, it seems the norm here.  We're cleaning and preparing a lot of our own food now so things are much better.  Our goal is to get out of India alive!  Getting a house set up into a home is no easy feat without a Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, and a Safeway.  And for me my home is my sanctuary.  My respite from the hostile outside world.  A place to relax and set my mind at ease.  I finally feel a little more comfortable here.  I'm now calling it 'home' and look forward to being here.  It certainly helps that Glen's mum is coming for a visit which spurred a shopping spree by me to get soft furnishings that we've been wanting.  For all the complaining that I do there are a lot of wonderful advantages I have.  Domestic help for one.  I've traded a little lack of privacy for it but I'm sure I'll survive.  I leave my house a mess and I come home to it sparkling clean.  If I want an Indian dinner, I just request my cook to make something.  Instead of pressing the 'send' button on my computer I send my driver to pay a bill.  I've met many ex-pat families that have children and they actually LIKE living here because of all the domestic help with nannies and cleaners etc.  I'm aware that getting used to this could make me lazy for when we leave.  But for now, I'm taking advantage of the freed up time I have and focusing on personal (and hopefully soon, professional) growth.  I know as soon as we start a family I won't have this precious time.  And I'll be the one scrubbing the toilets...oh joy.


Instead of fighting and resisting India, I'm putting my hands in the air and waiting for its effect on me.  I have surrendered.  Early on we were told that we will not change India (though we try really hard to), India will change us.  And I'm looking forward to the change.  Instead of hoping to be smitten by some elusive cultural revelation, we are taking advantage of the cooler winter weather and traveling to different parts of the country.  I feel like I have countless unstructured hours so there should be no excuse for not experiencing more of India.


Cheers to finally feeling happy again. 

3 comments:

  1. Cheers to THAT!
    And cheers to having domestic support. As you said, home is a sanctuary. When my house is messy, I feel messy. It's one of the few aspects of my life to which I actually have some control!
    Glad to hear some positive Indian vibes coming from your way. Thinking of you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I got this silly thought that the post's name, "Doing It," meant you were coming back to Denver.

    Just damn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it all in my friend, the good with the bad. Glad you have surrendered to the ride.

    ReplyDelete