Saturday, May 14, 2011

New meaning of 'Going Postal'

What was intended to be a quick trip to the post office ended up being a half an hour of chaos.  See, people don't queue in line here...they push and shove and demand to be served immediately.  Unfortunately, this has rubbed off on me and instead of being the patient person I once was, I am now aggressive in line determined not to let anybody get in front of me.  Elbows out, eyes alert, stand firm.  After finally being acknowledged by the post office worker at the counter he weighs one of my packages, gives it back, then goes to help someone else at the other end of the counter.  He comes back a few minutes later, weighs my other package and gives it back, with no indication of how much this is going to cost.  Patiently, I wait as he goes to help yet another customer at another counter.  This may seem strange to you but it is the norm here.  After waiting 5 or so minutes, my driver takes my packages to the other counter where we wait again.  Then finally the guy returns and tells me how much it is going to cost.  Great!  I get my rupees out and hand them over, however, I find that he just isn't ready to accept my money.  Wait again.  A few minutes later he is ready to take my money.  I wait a few minutes more for postage stamps.  Almost 50 of them!  To be plastered across the entire box!  Are you freaking kidding me?  There's got to be a better way.  Oh there is...but Indians don't know a freaking thing about efficiency.  I'm over generalizing here but find that this is just another thing that aggravates me about this country.  Another thing that I end up shaking my head at and smiling about.  Not so much grateful for the experience but appreciative of the way things are done back home.  Did I mention that I had to go to another counter where I had to take a glue bottle and paste all the stamps on myself???  Did I also mention that nobody will be getting Christmas presents this year from India???


  

3 comments:

  1. That is so awful it's funny. I never even tried to go to a post office b/c I had read a similar story on someone else's India blog awhile back. Argh. There is NOTHING EASY in India. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Peru is the same way and I can't handle the aggressive no line thing and the multiple counter stop to buy one f-ing thing... I feel your frustration... it's a joke sometimes.

    ReplyDelete