Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays

Drawing my inspiration from the movie Julie/Julia and from my love of serial blogs I decided to do one of my own.  No, I will not be cooking every day but once a week I will hover over my cook Shivani's shoulders, take notes, and share with you the lovely Indian delights she makes for us.  I can't promise I will stay on top of it and do it every week but I will try.  It would be fun if you tried some of these recipes at home and let me know how they turned out!


For lack of a better name (if you think of one, you can let me know you ideas) I bring you Tasty Tuesdays:




KARAHI CHICKEN  (also called Kadhai chicken)

820 gms or 5 chicken breasts, diced
1 TB cumin seeds
1 TB coriander seeds
1 TB black pepper seeds
2 small onions, sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 green chili, sliced
3 tomatoes, diced
¼ tsp garam masala (or more for heat)
1 capsicum, sliced
fresh coriander for garnish

Roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and pepper seeds on a heated pan.  Grind into a powder (I used a mortar and pestle) and set aside.  Add 2 TB oil to pan and heat on high.   Add onions.  Saute until golden brown.  Add ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chili.  Stir and let simmer for one minute.  Add cut tomatoes.  Stir and cover for 2 minutes.  Add powdered seeds.  Stir and cover for 2 minutes.  Add chicken. Cover for 15-20 minutes, stirring intermittently.  Add a little water.  Add capsicum.  Stir.  Cover for 2 minutes.

Place in serving dish.  Sprinkle garam masala on top and cut coriander.  Eat over rice!


*capsicum = bell pepper
*coriander = chinese parsley = cilantro


Bon apetite!

1 comment:

  1. Yesssssssss!!! I'm SO excited that you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete