Friday, October 8, 2010

Damn the Skeeters! Damn the Dengue!

I am really searching for reasons to love India.  I feel almost ashamed for not reporting a better time here.  So many people are hoping and practically expecting me to be having a wonderful experience.  But sadly...that hasn't been the case.  After living in a hotel for 6 weeks, acquiring a bacterial infection in my gut, spending a month to set up house, Glen away on business trips...it has finally culminated in me testing positive for Dengue Fever.  It's an acute febrile illness transmitted by mosquitos.  It is accurately nicknamed the 'bone-crushing  disease' because of the deep, hollowed-out ache one feels in joints and bones.  Mine has taken place in my hips.  Luckily the pain subsided once my fever broke.  Now I am just feeling miserably fatigued with no appetite.  The scary part is that it can be a fatal illness if my platelets start to drop and I start bleeding internally.  I'm required to get my blood checked every day for the next 3 days.  If my platelets fall below a certain number (75,000) I buy my admission ticket to the hospital.  As it is, my platelets are on the low end of normal to begin with so there's not a lot of wiggle room.  Glen's bosses are on high alert and on stand-by to evacuate me to another hospital in another country if necessary.  It sounds a bit dramatic but it's also very nice to know that we have their full support and they are ready to rally for us.

So stay tuned.  I'm ready to kick this thing's ass and start having some fun damn it!     

No comments:

Post a Comment