Monday, October 18, 2010

Humble

There's so much to catch up on when you leave a blog alone for a week.  First, I want to point out my lesson in humility.  I'm a fairly healthy person.  I remember being sick 3 times in my life.  Once when I was 5 or 6 years old...I got what my Mom told me was the 'food bug'.  I just remember puking my guts out and not being able to eat my favorite foods...aka chocolate ice cream.  2nd time I was about 12 years old.  I got the chickenpox from school.  It wasn't horrible and I remember being happy that I got to stay home for a whole week!  3rd time was when I got the flu at age 23 after getting a flu shot.  That put me out for a whole week.  So collectively speaking...I haven't been sick very often in my life.  When I got Dengue...before I knew what it was...I was shocked at how completely exhausted I felt just laying on the couch all day...for 5 days.  The sensation of no appetite was new to me.  I'm normally a ravenous person.  Being down and out gives me new appreciation for health and well being.  I'm being more diligent with the mosquito repellants...heeding the warnings of the health hazards on this side of the world.  I will no longer take my health for granted.  You'd think I would've learned this by being in the health care field.  But no, it's not until one flips the coin and becomes the patient do you truly understand how vulnerable you really are.  And how quickly life can potentially change.  With my platelet counts up and running I am happy to report the events of the following week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment