Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The cynic in me

So needless to say...Tasty Tuesdays are a thing of the past.  It was a good idea but between traveling, being sick, and sending our cook to her village to be with her mom...well it's just not working out on a consistent basis.  I decided I need to stop making myself guilty for missing self imposed deadlines.  I've been so uninspired in the kitchen anyways.  I hate going to the grocery store here because it never has good quality anything.  I go across town to get fresh produce.  Because it's out of my way I tend to overbuy so then half the fruits and veggies to go crap.  On top of it all, I hate having to disinfect everything.  To clean the veggies I have to soak them in chlorinated water for 15 minutes at a time.  This goes on for several batches.  It's so time consuming.  I can either ingest bleach or eat shit (E. coli).  Great choices.  


In better news, the lift has finally been repaired.  The only way I was able to get it fixed was to use some leverage.  The landlord wanted something from me, which I withheld until the lift was fixed.  Yes, I resorted to playing games with this guy but it worked.  The landlord needed a very important phone number for tax purposes.  Normally I would just give it to him but it was the only thing I had that he needed so I kept it from him.  Anyways, no more huffing and puffing up the steps!  There's still no water pressure but you take what you can get.


In the last month or so we reached the milestone of living here for a year.  We marked that anniversary by going to visit Dubai.  I hate to say that I'm over this place.  I think I really wanted to fall in love with Delhi, with India.  We both thought long and hard about coming here, we went through a million emotions, we were supported by family and friends, and we tried to make the best of it.  I don't regret coming here but I won't be sad to leave.  I am grateful for the opportunity to have lived in such a different country than the one I grew up in.  I am forever changed.  Living here has really highlighted how much I miss my family and friends, how much I need to be near my dog, how much I miss going to work, and how much I love to be able to get in my car and go wherever I wanted to go.  Coming here was a big risk for me, someone who really craves routine and consistency with little shake ups here and there.  And I'm ready to have that back in my life again.  Here's to hoping.

   

3 comments:

  1. When Glen's assignment is up, are you coming back to Colorado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what are the plans for what's next, anyway? Jer and I have been wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, btw, an American friend in Calcutta had recommended using grapefruit seed extract on fresh veggies while in India and it seems to have worked! Just three or four drops in the water and let it sit 3 or 5 minutes. If you can get your hands on any, I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete